Monday 23 November 2015

Roland Boutique JU-06

I've just received the brand new JU-06 sound module of the Roland Boutique range. These are compact 4-voice polyphonic synthesizer modules that are modeled and named after Roland's most famous vintage analog synthesizers. This one's modeled after their Juno 106 synthesizer that was quite popular in the 1980s. There's also a JX-03 reminiscent of the JX-3P, and a JP-08 that is modeled after Roland's Jupiter-8 flagship synthesizer.


So far I've played it using the presets and can only say that they sound great! For a while I had contemplated buying one of the reface series by Yamaha, in particular the CS analog synthesizer. But then I stumbled over the Boutique line, and there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to buy one.


I have always dreamed of owning and playing a Jupiter 8 -- now garnering collector's prices on eBay that exceed even those charged for brand new boards back in the day. Nonetheless, it was a conscious decision to skip the JP-08 and go after the simpler JU-06 module. What puts the Juno closer to my heart is the fact, that as a teenager I actually played it for hours on end in the basement of music stores where the keyboard section was invariably located. While I may have seen a real Jupiter 8 once or twice in a store, I never played it because the expensive stuff was usually turned off and I didn't dare turning it on -- or asking a clerk to do it for me. Alongside the Korg Polysix, the Juno range of synthesizers was among the boards that I considered buying before the Yamaha DX7 came along.


I still own the Yamaha DX7, and therefore I think I can appreciate somewhat authoritatively the advantages of the hands-on experience offered by true analog synthesizers. If you can't twiddle the sliders and knobs to find that sweet spot in the soundscape, what's the point? I think (and find my mild prejudice supported by watching several YouTube review videos) that the sliders on the JP-08 are just a bit too tiny, at least for me -- and for now. If you disagree and aim for the JP-08, by all means go for it! I just got a tax rebate and might buy one myself. But for now I want to slide sliders, push buttons and wrest the heck out of my first half-real analog polyphonic synthesizer that I ever owned. I may even make a short YouTube video myself to showcase the little beast!


I'm sure you want one, too. You know you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment